Wednesday, November 22, 2017

#iOS11 - QR Code Reader is Built In

If you and your students have access to iPads, iPhones, or iPod Touches running iOS 11, you can now scan bar codes without having to install a QR code reader app!

Just open the Camera app, point it at the QR code you want to read, and press the message that pops up on the screen to visit the website or file the code links to. It's that simple! I demonstrate how easy it is to use the iOS QR code reading function in the video below. 

I also share my all-time favorite QR code reading app, i-nigma, which is compatible with iOS devices (helpful if you have older devices that can't run iOS 11 or even newer devices that just haven't been upgraded yet) as well as Android (which is great in mixed-device environments like you find in  BYOD/BYOT classrooms). 

If you are wondering why anyone would need a QR code reader in their classroom, take a look at my Pinterest board with QR code ideas or my YouTube QR Code playlist. I update both of these when I come across new ideas, so feel free to check them frequently!

If you have ideas for using QR codes in the classroom, please share them in the comments so we can all learn together.






All original work in this post by Sandy Kendell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). Please see specifics on my re-use policy before re-posting/re-using any of my blog content.